Thursday, October 13, 2005

Episode XXVIII

"Rise and shine," the nurse called out cheerfully.

"If this is a hospital, why aren't I allowed to sleep?" Dennis mumbled. He'd been kept for two days so he could rest and recover, but he found it rather hard when he was awakened several times each night so the nurses could check up on him.

"Don't worry so much," his grandpa called from the bed next to him. "We're both supposed to be sprung today."

The nurse's eyes twinkled. "You both make the place sound like a prison. I thought we treated our patients better then that."

"Well, maybe a little," Dennis conceded.

"Good. I'm glad to hear it." The nurse went over to a tray by the door. "Now here's your morning ration of gruel. I'll be back to check on you one more time before you are freed." She left the room to hearty laughter.

*******

A few hours later, Dennis and his grandpa were both released from the hospital. Dennis went with his family to his grandparents' for a few hours and then returned to his dorm room. He found his girlfriend Carry waiting outside his dorm room. Even though she'd been to see him both days, it felt like they hadn’t seen each other in days. They just held each other for a few minutes, then went inside.

"Is your roommate around?" Carry asked as she sat down on Dennis' bed.

"No. He's got lab tonight. Won't be back until late."

"Good. Cause I want to know what happened to you. I could tell there was something you wanted to tell me in the hospital."

Dennis filled her in on his encounter with the gang and their leader. "I think he recognized me. And something about him seemed familiar. I just can't place my finger on it."

"Seriously, he decided to call himself Darth Onion?" Carry laughed. "You have got to be kidding me."

Dennis smiled. "It did seem pretty funny. But if you'd seen the way he shot lightening out of his hands, you wouldn't feel the same way."

Carry sobered. "I know we both want to fight the crime in this town. And you seem to have developed a gift for it. But I think you're getting in over your head here. We need to fall back. Regroup."

"That's just what they want me to do. So that is exactly what we can't do. We've just got to plan better. It sure would be a help if I could figure out who 'Darth Onion' is."

Just then, the phone rang, and Dennis picked it up. "Hello?"

"Dennis? This is Dr. Pettigrew. I heard you have been in the hospital. Everything ok?"

"Just some bruises. I'm healing ok. Be back to work tomorrow."

"Glad to hear it. I hate to make demands, but I've fallen behind. Lots of tests to grade and whatnot. You understand. And, Dennis? Could you stay a little later tomorrow? There's some stuff going on I want to talk to you about. Maybe you can help me with a project I want to start working on."

"Sure thing. See you at the regular time." And Dennis hung up.

******

Dr. Pettigrew hung up the...finished the call and smiled to himself. Dennis was so anxious to do good that he had gotten himself captured and beaten up. This story about being found paralyzed on the ground seemed strange. He'd have to pursue it and what it might mean. Meanwhile, Dennis' enthusiasm was just what he was looking for. If he played his cards just right, he could use Dennis to achieve his ends and the young student would never be the wiser.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At Friday, October 14, 2005 6:15:00 PM, Blogger Qalmlea said...

The "I hate to make demands" line is brilliant.

 
At Friday, October 14, 2005 8:27:00 PM, Blogger Matt said...

See, the injustice! We do have readers, they just don't comment on my episodes! *sigh*

Yeah, I was really pleased what Mark did with this--I especially liked the interaction with the nurse and grandfather, they felt quite "homey" if you will.

 
At Saturday, October 15, 2005 9:35:00 PM, Blogger Qalmlea said...

Realistic as well. I speak, unfortunately, from watching my grandma interact with her nurses this week.

 
At Monday, October 17, 2005 1:45:00 PM, Blogger Mark Baker said...

If it makes you feel better, matt, I was the only one who commented on John's episode. :)

Qal. Glad you liked the episode.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home