Thursday, September 15, 2005

Episode XXV

Q Lab Internal Communication

Date: April 1, 2005
Sender Code Name: Rubber Snake
Receiver Code Name: Blackbird
Subject: New Project Proposal
Message: The Queen Device is operational. We are ready to test it for long-term durability and practicality. Recommend we select a local candidate.


Q Lab Internal Communication


Date: April 1, 2005
Sender Code Name: Blackbird
Receiver Code Name: Rubber Snake
Subject: re: New Project Proposal
Message: I thought the Queen Device was still in the theoretical stage. If this is an April Fool's joke I will personally recommend you as a test subject for the Winston project.


Q Lab Internal Communication

Date: April 1, 2005
Sender Code Name: Rubber Snake
Receiver Code Name: Blackbird
Subject: re: New Project Proposal
Message: No joke, Blackbird. We thought it best to keep the excitement level at a minimum until we were sure it could be built. Still waiting for your opinion on a test run. Please advise.


Q Lab Internal Communication


Date: April 2, 2005
Sender Code Name: Blackbird
Receiver Code Name: Rubber Snake
Subject: Queen Project
Message: The test run is a go. We will begin candidate selection. We want someone who is active but relatively unimportant.


Q Lab Internal Communication

Date: April 12, 2005
Sender Code Name: Blackbird
Receiver Code Name: Rubber Snake
Subject: re: Queen Project
Message: We've narrowed the list of candidates down to six. Review the attached profiles and see what you think. I am partial to #2 and #3.


Q Lab Internal Communication

Date: April 14, 2005
Sender Code Name: Rubber Snake
Receiver Code Name: Blackbird
Subject: re: Queen Project
Message: I would recommend #2, except we've caused enough trouble with that department already. If news of this were to escape Q Lab it could be problematic. However, it appears that #3 is almost perfect. Dinglethorpe is barely aware that we even exist, and his assistant is a highly paid errand boy who also runs chemistry experiments -- generally without knowing what they are about.


Q Lab Internal Communication


Date: April 17, 2005
Sender Code Name: Blackbird
Receiver Code Name: Rubber Snake
Subject: re: Queen Project
Message: My colleagues agree. Damien Valiant has been approved. I'm afraid we need to drag you out of your dungeon for a face-to-face meeting about this. I know you don't have plans, so we'll be expecting you at 23:00 tonight.

* * *

Half of the security measures taken in Q Lab were entirely unnecessary. In fact, the practice of assigning code names to everyone could not properly be considered a security measure. Who did these names protect? They weren't used outside of Q Lab, and real names were accessible to anyone who really wanted them. Newcomers often questioned the practice, and were told by their elders that they would understand in time. They never did, but they went ahead and passed this myth on to those who came after them.

Not that there were many newcomers. The entire department employed less than two dozen people, and most of them would have been world leaders in their esoteric fields if they were permitted to interact with the world. They weren't, of course. The lab itself was known throughout Elfaeran Base as the research center for advanced gadgetry, and rumored to be a contact point for extraterrestrials. Most Q Lab employees couldn't tell you whether the alien rumors were true, but they could tell you that Q Lab was home to much more advanced technology than anyone outside was aware. They could tell you, that is, if you didn't mind them killing you afterwards.

On April 17 at 23:00, six Q Lab employees were in attendance at a secret meeting about the Queen project. Prince John arrived with Rubber Snake, while Nightrider and Frodo Baggins were two of the colleagues Blackbird mentioned. The meeting didn't last long; it was mostly a formality to make sure everyone was on track and no details were being forgotten.

"Gentlemen, Nightrider, welcome," said Blackbird, calling the meeting to order. "We are here to discuss the Queen Device. After several months of hard work, it has been constructed. It is operational. And we are ready to test it. Any questions?"

"Yes," said Nightrider. All eyes turned to her. "Could we please have a non-cryptic, detailed description of what this device does? We all think we know, but I for one would like to have it all out in plain English."

"Certainly," Blackbird agreed. "I believe the one best qualified to answer that question is Rubber Snake, the man who designed the device. Rubber?"

The young man stood up. "The Queen Device, as you all know, is the ultimate advance in spy technology. It is, essentially, a bioelectrical parasite. It 'lives' inside the body of the subject, renewing its power supply via chemical reactions fueled by small amounts of the subject's own blood. Its needs are small enough to go unnoticed, and it uses stealth technology to avoid detection by standard medical scans. It taps into the subject's nervous system, and gains complete access to the subject's sensory input. This information is then broadcast to a receiver unit. The receiver unit is attached to a virtual reality device. A person on our end can plug into this device while the Queen is broadcasting, and experience all the same sensory input as the subject."

Frodo Baggins spoke up. "Question: By sensory input, do you mean..."

"Everything. Sight, sound, smell, heat, cold, pain, vertigo, everything. However, it is possible to filter it down to just sight and sound if all of that is overwhelming or extraneous."

"And you say the device is operational?" This was from Darkrider.

"Yes it is."

"Then has it been tested?"

"Briefly."

"So, who..."

Prince John shifted uncomfortably.

"There were some....glitches to iron out. We'd rather not discuss it."

"Fair enough," said Blackbird. "Are there any other questions?"

"Yes," said Nightrider. "Are we certain all the glitches are fixed in preparation for a more extensive test?"

"Yes," Rubber Snake answered. "We don't anticipate any serious problems. The main thing we're worried about is whether the device will be able to sustain itself properly over a long period of time and keep the signal strong."

"What we've decided to do," Blackbird continued, "is to implant the device in a low-ranking employee from another department, specifically Damien Valiant from Sector #XY1492. Rubber Snake will then make regular observations via the virtual reality receiver over the course of eight weeks. This will serve a dual purpose of making sure the device is working properly, and testing how effective it is for actual spy work. I needn't point out that we have absolutely no authorization to conduct this test. Does anyone have a problem with that?" No one did. Q Lab had played by their own rules for a very long time. "Are there any further questions?"

"Just one," said Nightrider. "How are we going to get the parasite into the target?

"It is capable of getting in on its own. All we have to do is plant it in his quarters. It acts when he is asleep."

"But how does it get in?"

"It injects the subject with a strong general anesthetic to keep him sleeping. He'll think he's had a good night's rest and he might notice what looks like an insect bite."

"But how does it get in?"

"If there are no further questions, this meeting is adjourned."

* * *

Queen Project Report
by Rubber Snake

(selected entries)

April 18, 2005

Remote contact with Queen has been established. It is functioning normally and is adjusting to the local immune system.

April 19, 2005

Queen is now fully integrated and self-sustaining. It is preparing to tap into the nervous system. Sensory transmissions should begin within 50 hours.

April 22, 2005

I jacked in for about five minutes in the middle of the night. The experience is still unsettling; not sure if I'll ever get used to it. He was asleep, so there was no visual, but I could hear him breathing and feel him lying in bed. I understand the necessity of dimming my own sensory input so I can concentrate on his, but boy, that's weird. I can still feel myself in the virtual reality unit, but it's like a dream or a memory. Of course some sensation on my end is necessary so that my brain doesn't become disoriented and so that I can feel what I'm doing to disconnect, but the whole experience is just the most bizarre thing since sliced bread. You said you wanted me to speak freely in these logs; don't blame me if you get delusional rambling.

April 23, 2005

I tried it again for about ten minutes. Wasn't quite so bad this time. Tomorrow I think I'll try it when he's awake. Queen reports all systems functioning normally for both the parasite and the host. Hmm, I wonder if this could have medical applications?

April 27, 2005

I stayed jacked in for a whole hour this morning while he was getting ready for work. The hardest thing to get used to is not being in control. Because it feels like I'm the one taking a shower or brushing my teeth. He's younger than I am; that's also weird. Let me state in advance that I am not volunteering if you decide to test this on a female.

April 28, 2005

Stayed with him off and on pretty much all day. I never thought I'd say it, but I'm actually getting the hang of this. I'm starting to pick up the flow of how he moves around and stuff. His job is excruciatingly boring. Maybe it would be interesting if I knew more chemistry. Oh, and Dr. Dinglethorpe should be institutionalized -- wait, he already has been. The thing that's taken the most getting used to is when Damien talks. I hear and feel myself speaking, but I don't know what I'm going to say until I say it.

April 29, 2005

Oh, wow, I am liking this guy more and more the longer I spend with him. It's going to be really weird if I ever meet him in person. Dinglethorpe's got these insane security rules -- not as insane as ours, but still -- Damien has to work late sometimes, and if he stays out past 22:00 he has to go check in with a security guard. Sector #XY1492 is like 50 times the size of Q Lab, and it takes forever to go find one. Anyway, he's got an awesome hacker program -- not as awesome as what we've got but still -- he snuck into Dinglethorpe's office and used it to send a fake email so he didn't have to check in. I'm getting so in tune with him I really felt nervous when we were sneaking through the hallway. When he was in the office he had a sneezing fit, and I was afraid someone was going to hear him and we'd get caught.

April 30, 2005

Queen is reporting difficulties. Damien's immune system may have discovered it. It is recommending that we cease transmissions while it reintegrates itself.

May 5, 2005

Queen is reporting everything normal again, but I'm not buying it. Damien doesn't seem to notice anything wrong, but I can tell that something is different from last time. He's sick or something. The change was probably gradual, so he didn't pick up on it, but I noticed right away after being gone for a few days. I hope this isn't being caused by Queen. I'm going to talk to Blackbird about it.

May 6, 2005

Okay, I do not know what just happened, but that was INSANE. Dinglethorpe sent Damien down to the commissary to pick up some supplies after lunch. He wanted Mountain Dew, Cocoa Puffs, saltine crackers, and batteries for his mp3 player and Game Boy. Damien ate some spaghetti -- luckily they were out of tuna and anchovies, or I would have had to disconnect until he finished -- and then went down and picked up all the stuff. He brought it back, and was talking to the professor about where the name "Elfaeren" came from (I can't believe he's been here this long and didn't know). He was putting the batteries into the Game Boy, when, I think, the Game Boy started shocking him. The pain level was intense enough to overload the receptors on this end, and my link got severed.

May 13, 2005

Queen reports that the subject is sick (duh!) but that its own systems are fine. However, while Damien is unconcious there's pretty much nothing to transmit. I keep jacking in periodically, just in case. It's doubtful that Queen had anything to do with whatever happened to him, but we need to find a way to be certain.

May 18, 2005

Bad new, good news, and bad news. The bad news is, the XY1492 doctors can't figure out what's wrong with him. The good news is they called us up, giving us an excuse to take a closer look. Even more good news is that Queen is just fine and in no danger of being discovered, and is definitely not responsible for what's going on. The bad news is that our own scans were only able to confirm what they already know: He's losing weight and bone mass. I keep jacking in every day, but I only get occasional glimmers of sensation.

May 21, 2005

He's woken up! He's eating Ramen and watching M*A*S*H. And apparantly he's lost his memory, based on what the people around him are saying. He feels fine, though. Different, but healthy.

May 22, 2005

He continues to move about in a sort of daze. He doesn't seem to recognize Dinglethorpe. In fact, he doesn't give any indication of knowing who he is or where he is. I can't tell what's going on inside his head, but there's nothing coming out of his mouth. Queen says it's fine and so is he.

May 28, 2005

Damien just had a dream, and I had it with him. Only that's impossible. I can't experience his dreams. So maybe just I was dreaming. But I was jacked into the VR unit. I couldn't sleep and decided to hook up for a few minutes just on a whim. It was refreshing to feel him in normal sleep rather than a coma. Then, without any kind of warning, he just got up and wandered into the hallway. You'd think a patient like this would be monitored, but no one stopped him from randomly walking through corridors. He might have been sleep walking; I'm not sure. For all I know he's been sleepwalking for the past week.

This is where it gets weird. He somehow managed to avoid security and make it out onto a balcony. Then he just kind of stood there staring down into the valley. He had a headache, and was slightly dizzy. He started leaning over the railing, and I had just decided to disconnect and call for help, when he fell. I was sure he was going to fall to his death, and I would be the first man ever to know what it feels like to die without actually dying. But instead of dying, he started flying. Yes, that sounds stupid and corny, not to mention impossible. But I'm telling you, he just floated up into the air, did a few swoops, circled around and landed on the balcony again. The headache and dizziness were gone, and he was walking with confidence. He wandered back to his hospital room and told the nurse he had no idea what had happened, but he was feeling much better. I don't believe that for a minute. He's feeling better, sure, but I think he knows exactly what happened.

You're going to say I fell asleep on the machine and dreamed it all, or prolonged exposure to the VR unit stimulates hallucinations, or something. That may be the case. But let's be sure, okay? Elfaeran base is home to weirder things than a flying man and we all know it.

May 29, 2005

It's confirmed...if I dreamed last night's events, then I fell asleep sometime after Damien wandered out of his room, because that definitely happened. And I woke up before he wandered back, because that happened as well. And he appears to be fully recovered, aside from being thin as a rail with unusually low bone mass. Please don't call me crazy for pointing out that low bone mass is a characteristic of birds. He continues to maintain that he remembers nothing, and I continue to maintain that he's lying through his teeth. I think he's afraid of his new flying talent being discovered. I would feel the same way.

June 2, 2005

This is going to be the final entry. We were scheduled to go for another couple of weeks, but unusual developments are going to force us to cut the experiment short. Queen has shown remarkable resilience and adaptivity, and I seriously doubt there would have been any technical problems anyway.

Figuring that if he was really able to fly, he would try it again, I jacked in last night...only I had Doctor Smith on hand to verify that I was awake and that the interface was functioning normally. I also recorded the transmission so that someone else can play it back and verify what happened. I've made selected recordings before of course, but the amount of memory they take up is obsene.

Long story short: He snuck outside and flew for most of the night. Once he gets going he can swoop up and gain altitude, but he has to jump off a high spot, because it takes a few seconds of falling before the flying mechanism kicks in. Theory: It may have something to do with getting accelerated to a high enough speed, in which case he might be able to take off from the ground if he jumped off a fast moving vehicle or something. Testing that theory wouldn't be much fun if it turned out to be false.

Look, as I've said before, I can't read his mind. But I've practically lived his life for the past month and a half, and I've heard the things he mutters to himself. The man has a hero complex. He thinks that with this flying ability he can be Superman or something. And I don't think it's occured to him yet that he's not bulletproof. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he were to fly down to Mammoth City some weekend and get himself killed trying to stop gang activity.

* * *

After flying most of the night away, Damien ate a hearty meal and went to sleep. He was glad that he had time off and didn't have to be anywhere the next day. Anyway, the prospect of work had lost some appeal. Of course he still wanted his job, would need it in fact, not just for money but to maintain his secret identity. What better place for a secret identity than a secret government base? But just now he was happy to have some time to revel in his new power.

When he woke up early that afternoon, his computer screen was flashing. Why is it doing that? He wondered. As soon as he moved the mouse, a message popped up:

The following message will be deleted after one minute. Do not click "ok" until you are ready to give it your undivided attention.


Puzzled, Damien clicked the "ok" button. A full-screen window popped up:

Greetings, from Q Lab! We have eyes and ears everywhere. We know all about your illness, your recovery, and your new nighttime hobby. We know, but no one else is likely to find out unless we tell them. You work in a genetic engineering lab. If you want to avoid becoming Dr. Dinglethorpe's new project, we suggest that you cooperate with us. Please call ext. 8472.

Damien read this twice and was just starting to realize what it meant, when the screen vanished. He thought things over for a few minutes, then picked up his telephone and dialed 8472.

"Mr. Valiant, thank you for calling."

"Who are you?"

"You can call me Blackbird."

"Blackbird?"

"Please, we don't have much time. This line is secure, but only for a few minutes. Since you called this number, I assume you read my message. It hinted at blackmail. For this I apologize. I want us to be friends, Mr. Valiant. I want us to trust each other. A scientific study of your new ability will be beneficial to both of us. But I am willing to conduct it on your terms. Are you willing to meet with me?"

"How do I know that you won't--"

"Kidnap you? I assure you, Mr. Valiant, if I wanted to do that, I would not need your cooperation."

"Then why don't you?"

"Because then you would disappear. When someone diappears, there is an investigation. Investigations are inconvenient and tedious. A waste of resources. Besides, we see no reason to pull you away from your regular job and life. Now, will you meet me tonight?"

"Yes."

"Good. You've already shown an aptitude for sneaking through corridors, but getting to Q Lab undetected will be a bit harder than getting outside. Now listen carefully..." As Damien listened, the man outlined an exact sequence of movements through the base which would dodge security guards and bring him undetected to a rendezvous point where he would meet a contact named "Nightrider". She would then escort him into Q Lab. It all sounded like something out of a James Bond movie, but he didn't doubt that it was all real. He only hoped that he was not getting in over his head.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At Thursday, September 15, 2005 11:25:00 PM, Blogger Matt said...

I really liked this episode for a couple of reasons. 1) It was structured so differently and took a different look at already established events (I think this is a benefit of the multiple-author style). 2) It concerned a top-top-secret area of the base I came up with (and Q Lab was just a throwaway line I used--I was quite excited to be able to learn more about it). 3) Okay, I would have a three--but number one is really two points, ;-).

 
At Friday, September 16, 2005 6:38:00 AM, Blogger Qalmlea said...

I agree that this episode was nicely done, and a refreshing change of pace.

 
At Friday, September 16, 2005 8:38:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite episodes simply because of the intrigue. Q Lab is such an interesting place, full of mystery and intrigue.

 
At Friday, September 16, 2005 10:42:00 AM, Blogger Yokanchi said...

It was a little confusing because of all the code names and different messages but, It has a ver intersting turnout, that i like.

 
At Sunday, September 25, 2005 7:41:00 PM, Blogger Matt said...

As soon as John gets it up--I just noticed today that we've been ten days without a new episode. Sorry.

 
At Wednesday, September 28, 2005 5:30:00 AM, Blogger Matt said...

No, John wrote the next episode.

 
At Friday, September 30, 2005 10:25:00 AM, Blogger kate said...

If you're "rewriting the future," why is all this 'happening' in the past?

 
At Monday, October 03, 2005 9:23:00 AM, Blogger Fibonacci said...

I'd explain it to you, but there's a lot of math involved.

 
At Wednesday, December 14, 2005 4:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"On April 17 at 23:00, six Q Lab employees were in attendance at a secret meeting"

Maybe I missed it, but who was code name number 6? I found Rubber Snake, Blackbird, Prince John, Night Rider, Frodo Baggins, and ... who?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home