Monday, August 08, 2005

Episode XIX

Marcia walked into the lobby of the Acid Bay Resort. This is rather nice, she thought to herself. If all her assignments for Dr. Pettigrew were going to be this plush, she’d really be happy.

Walking up to the desk, she rang the little bell on the counter. “I’ll be with you in a minute,” yelled a harried voice from the back. Presently, a frazzled looking woman came out of the office and walked up to the desk. “I’m Marla, how can I help you?”

Marcia smiled. “I have a reservation. Should be under….”

“No need. If you have a reservation I should have no problem finding it.”

Marcia looked confused. “Really? A place this nice?”

“Haven’t you heard the rumors of the monster living in our sulfur springs?” Marla let out a bitter laugh. “Just as I thought, you’re the only reservation in the system. Would you like a free upgrade to our luxury suite?”

“Seriously? I’d love it!”

Marla started typing on her computer. “All set. You’re in room 300.”

“So this rumor is hurting your business?”

“Big time. Which isn’t such a bad thing since all my employees up and quit on me. If I had to run a full hotel by myself, I’d really be going crazy. But one guest I can handle no problem. So if you need anything, let me know.”

“You think this is a rumor started by your competitor to ruin you?” Marcia asked.

Marla shook her head. “Normally, I would. I know this is going to sound crazy, but I’ve actually seen this thing.”

Marcia’s ears perked up. “Really?”

“Yes. It was the creepiest thing I’ve ever seen. Like something out of my nightmares.” She shuddered. “I hate to think what it would do if I hadn’t made it to the shed and gotten the pH solution ready.”

“So then why are you still here?”

Marla indicated the hotel around them. “My entire life savings are here. And who in their right mind would buy a place with a monster attached?”

Marcia picked up her key card and moved to the elevators. All the way to her suite, she kept thinking about what she’d learned. Maybe this wasn’t a wild goose chase after all. She only opened her door long enough to drop her bag inside, then she headed out the back way. It was dark outside, but the moon was full. The slightly chilly air made her shiver. Then she wasn’t shivering from the cold. Coming out of one of the pools furthest from her was a – beast was the best way to describe it. Even only by silhouette she could tell this was something she didn’t want to mess with.

Praying she wouldn’t catch the creatures attention, she crept back inside and hurried up to her room. She checked the time, then decided that it was too late to call and pulled her lap top out of her bag. She quickly sat down to e-mail Dr. Pettigrew. “Rumors confirmed. Saw the creature myself....”

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At Monday, August 08, 2005 10:28:00 AM, Blogger Becky said...

Marcia meets Marla. Now that's a catchy movie title! Nicely done episode Mark, short but informative. Uggh. Creature from the Black Lagoon, it reminds me of.

 
At Monday, August 08, 2005 11:47:00 AM, Blogger Mark Baker said...

Never seen Creature from the Black Lagoon, so I can't comment there. :)

Glad you liked it. I tend to write short episodes, but as long as the story moves along, I figure that's all that matters.

 
At Monday, August 08, 2005 10:16:00 PM, Blogger Fibonacci said...

I was actually thinking of Merman from the old Heman cartoon.

 
At Tuesday, August 16, 2005 12:06:00 PM, Blogger Qalmlea said...

The end of Chapter XX has me thinking of the Buffy episode Go Fish... At least, if it goes where I think it's going... (Was that vague enough? ;-)

 
At Monday, August 22, 2005 10:53:00 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Well I had to look up a description of that episode, having never seen the show. But you're good, ;-).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home