Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Episode XIII

Marcia Silverberg sat in the local café, a look of disbelief on her face. Her boyfriend Todd sat across from her, studying his cappuccino with his brow furrowed.

“You want to break up?” She said, shaking her head. “What’s wrong?” Todd looked up and shrugged.

“I just—I don’t think we have anything in common anymore. You don’t seem to care about anything. Your grades are slipping, you lock yourself in your room for hours on end, someone says something to you, and you snap their head off. You used to be so fun, you cared about people. I don’t know you anymore. You’ve changed, and I can’t be with someone who might as well be a stranger.” Marcia gave a hard laugh.

“I do care about things, but they’re not the same things I cared about when we met. I don’t care about weak things like trust and love. I care about making my way in the world, no matter what it takes. For all I care the world can take a flying leap.” By now she was standing, reaching for her purse.

“That’s exactly what I mean.” Todd said, gently grabbing her wrist. “You didn’t used to think that way. What changed you?” She yanked away from his grasp and picked her purse up.

“I’ve changed for the better. I’ve opened my eyes. You should, too. Look around, the only people who have the power to effect change don’t waste their time with being emotional. They aren’t weak. I used to be weak, but I’m not anymore. If you can’t deal with that, you can just take a long walk off a short pier.”

With that, she turned on her heal and stomped out of the café, leaving Todd sitting there shaking his head sadly.

Once outside, Marcia felt the sting of hot tears in her eyes. She walked around the corner, out of Todd’s sight before she sat down on a bench to wipe them away.

What am I crying about? She thought angrily. I should be glad, now I don’t have him holding me down. I don’t need him, he’s weak. I’m the strong one!

“Then why are you crying?” She heard a voice in front of her saying.

Marcia looked up to see Professor Pettigrew, one of the professors from the college, gazing down at her; a look of sympathy on his face. It was then that she realized she’d spoken aloud.

He pulled a handkerchief out of his pocket and handed it to her and waited until she had wiped her eyes before speaking again.

“I was sitting at the next table over from you and the young man inside. I couldn’t help but overhearing your conversation.” Marcia sniffed.

“What do you want?” She snapped. The professor didn’t even flinch.

“I’ve observed some of your actions on the campus, and have noticed that you are a very bright young woman, with a future of promise. I’ve been looking for a young person who feels about many things as you do.”

She looked at him suspiciously, but nodded her head. He continued.

“How would you like to consider a—arrangement with me? I’m seeking a young person who isn’t afraid of accomplishing certain goals, whether or not the means of attaining these goals are entirely legal.”

Marcia studied the professor for a moment.

“What kind of goals?” She asked.

“I’m afraid I can’t tell you that until you have agreed, and proven your willingness to help me.”

Marcia noticed Todd walk around the corner, glance her way, then walk on. She set her jaw firmly. I won’t be weak, she thought.

She stood up and extended her hand.

“You’ve got yourself a deal, Professor.”

Labels:

19 Comments:

At Tuesday, July 19, 2005 9:38:00 PM, Blogger Qalmlea said...

Very nicely done!

 
At Tuesday, July 19, 2005 10:03:00 PM, Blogger Matt said...

I do like the confusion about tears.

 
At Wednesday, July 20, 2005 6:55:00 PM, Blogger kate said...

Marcia is such a wretched name. If my name was Marcia, I would probably turn to the dark side, too.

 
At Wednesday, July 20, 2005 9:09:00 PM, Blogger Mark Baker said...

What is everyone's problem with Marcia? I like her. (Of course, I created her and gave her the name.)

I'd forgotten about this episode and how good it was. We've got some good writers.

 
At Wednesday, July 20, 2005 9:19:00 PM, Blogger Qalmlea said...

One question... Is Marcia being pronounced "Marsha" or "Mar-see-ah"? I find the latter pronunciation more appealing myself. I don't find it particularly wretched either way, though. ;-)

 
At Wednesday, July 20, 2005 10:46:00 PM, Blogger Yokanchi said...

good question, i think it's marcia at least thats how chandler and i say it. i think mar-see-ah is better as well.

 
At Thursday, July 21, 2005 9:13:00 AM, Blogger Mark Baker said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Thursday, July 21, 2005 10:12:00 AM, Blogger kate said...

Mar-see-ah is better. I just think Marcia is a very dry name.

 
At Thursday, July 21, 2005 1:03:00 PM, Blogger Mark Baker said...

I saw it pronounced as Marsha.

 
At Thursday, July 21, 2005 8:16:00 PM, Blogger Fibonacci said...

Yeah, but what would you know about it?

 
At Friday, July 22, 2005 9:20:00 AM, Blogger Mark Baker said...

That's a very good question. I mean, I just named her. Who says that means anything at all? :)

 
At Friday, July 22, 2005 2:40:00 PM, Blogger Yokanchi said...

you have a point...

 
At Friday, July 22, 2005 5:17:00 PM, Blogger Matt said...

lol I think that we should put this into an episode...if it has any importance. I was thinking Mar-see-uh as well...

 
At Saturday, July 23, 2005 9:56:00 AM, Blogger Becky said...

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia! I think you should have named her Jan!

This story is moving along very nicely now. I also love the tears.

 
At Monday, July 25, 2005 9:44:00 PM, Blogger Matt said...

The tears? What about the tears?

 
At Tuesday, July 26, 2005 9:22:00 AM, Blogger Fibonacci said...

You were the one who brought it up.

 
At Saturday, July 30, 2005 11:25:00 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Well true, but she said she loved them, so I was wondering why she said that...

 
At Saturday, July 30, 2005 5:31:00 PM, Blogger Becky said...

I said I love the tears because they are yet another hint at the fearsome powers of Dr. P...

 
At Sunday, July 31, 2005 11:37:00 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Ah, very cool. You will not be disappointed by future episodes! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home