Sunday, August 28, 2005

Episode XXI

The morning was grey and the air thick with humidity. It was about 7 o'clock and Marcia hadn't slept very well the night before and had woke up a half an hour before not being able to sleep. She decided to take a walk and left the hotel promptly, briskly walking toward the acid pools to do some investigating of the scene. The "landlady" as it were, (Marla) had dropped in shortly after she woke to let her know that the creature had been captured and there was nothing to be afraid of. Now that she had been upgraded to a VIP class resident by the anxious hotel caretaker, she had access to all the pools.

Crossing a field on the way she noticed van tracks. Must have been the laboratory team Marla told me about, she thought to herself as she neared the bubbling acidic pools. The steam rose gently into the morning air and Marcia breathed it in letting it clear her senses. Looking around she started to circle the pools and examine the edges for any clues or strange phenonmenon. This so-called "monster" intrigued her for some strange reason.

Seeing what appeared to be some large unnatural abrasions on the edge of on of the pools she went closer for a look. As she neared it she noticed the beauty and amazing depth of the pool. Amazing! She thought. That pool must be about 15 feet deep and I can see all the way through. The blue clarity of the pool awed her. As she knelt down for a clearer view through the mists that obscured the surface her skin came in contact with some kind of green substance on the edge of the pool. She
gazed into the pool while the her skin, unbeknownst to her, was being eaten through by the green chemical.

Suddenly pain shot through her knees. She fell grasping. Her head neared the water.

* * *

Dr. Pettigrew quit his solitare game to go find the paper. As he opened the door a cat jumped up onto his porch.

Dr. Pettigrew immediately slammed the door, causing the cat to flee the scene promptly. Breathing heavily as he leaned against the door he finally got himself out of the panic attack. After getting a drink of filtered water he grabbed the nearest weapon (a broom) and stalked up to the door opening it slowly and peeking out. Relieved to see no cats in sight he searched for the paper.

"That's unusual." He pondered it for a minute. "Oh well." It was one of the small joys in life; reading of other peoples misfortunes was almost as amusing as causing them, which he enjoyed greatly. As he was stepping onto the porch again, the phone began to ring. He ran and answered it.

"Hello? You've reached Dr. Pettigrew, what can I do for you?"

"Hi, this is Marla Stewart, and i'm calling on behalf of... Marcia? You know her, don't you?"

"Yes?"

"Early this morning she fell into one of the pools and was burned badly. Somehow she must have saved herself because I found her apparantly shortly after she fell in. I don't know why she was out there, but anyway was taken to a local hospital, treated and let go. I thought I should let you know since the room reservations are under your name."

"Oh yes, yes, thank you very much for letting me know."

"Would you like me to give you the information about where she was treated and expenses?"

"No that won't be neccessary, thank you though."

He suddenly became much more congenial, hung up the phone, and picked it right back up to call Marcia. He dialed and the phone on the other end was promptly answered.

"Hello?"

"May I speak to Marcia?"

"She's not avaliable right now, can I take a message?"

"Its very urgent, do you know where she is? This is Dr. Pettigrew."

"Oh, I'm sorry I didn't recognize you Mr. Pettigrew. This is Marcia's roomate. She had some problems with some burns and went to Community General to get them checked out. I also found out that she is going to probably be staying there for a few nights."

"Thank you very much."

He promptly hung up and got dressed to go on a little interrogation visit.

* * *

Arriving at the hospital he went inside and talked to the lady at the front desk.

"Excuse me, do you know where Marcia Silverberg is being kept?"

"Are you family?"

"No, I'm one of her professors at Mammoth University"

"Ok, I see, she's in room 231."

* * *

Arriving at the floor, he asked about her condition.

"She's been unconscious for a little while, but let me check, she might be awake by now."

Unfortunately the nurse returned with the information that she was still unconscious.

I guess I’ll have to get my information later, he thought disappointedly, leaving the hospital.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At Saturday, August 27, 2005 10:33:00 PM, Blogger Matt said...

I apologize for the long delay in the release of this episode. There were a couple continuity issues that had to be resolved and it took a bit longer than anticipated. I think we might release the following episode a bit early as compensation.

I hope that you'll all stick around, we're going to try to be better about releases, ;-).

Oh, one more thing. I thought that perhaps people might like to know when a new episode is released. Would anyone be interested in signing up for a mailing list to tell you when a new episode was out? Don't do anything now but tell us if you would be interested--if several are we might go ahead and ask y'all to e-mail us (superheroesandvillians@gmail.com) with your address so we could set the list up. Thanks!

~Matt/Black Wolff

 
At Sunday, August 28, 2005 12:45:00 PM, Blogger Qalmlea said...

*shrugs* I tend to check the site anyway, just to read comments and such. If such a list existed, I would wish to be included, but that's about it. :-)

Just a guess...but was the continuity issue whether or not Marcia had woken up yet? I can see where that could cause problems.

 
At Sunday, August 28, 2005 1:20:00 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Dang, you're good! Yeah, that was it. The episode had to be edited for something else and that was changed, but a later episode featured Marcia, so...;-).

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 4:23:00 PM, Blogger Mark Baker said...

Well, that was the second issue. We'd had others before that.

Billy, I haven't said this yet, but I like what you did with the rewrite.

 
At Thursday, September 01, 2005 9:20:00 PM, Blogger Becky said...

I agree with qalmlea, I check the site every day that I get on the computer, so I'm not going to miss an episode, but if you set up a mailing list I would want to be on it. Waiting for episodes is okay though. And more time between will maybe generate more banter in the comment section - which is fun too. Also, the fan base understands that creativity takes time. We can be patient.

 
At Friday, September 02, 2005 7:19:00 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Okay, I'll let y'all know if an update list is started.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home