Monday, August 07, 2006

Return of the Fibster

Here we are again, another Monday already! Are you ready for the rest of the interview? Oh, you're not? Okay, I can just make this paragraph the entirety of the post. That would be okay with me--less effort really. Do I hear a clammoring of dissent? Ah, well in that case I might be persuaded to grace you with the rest of the Fibionacci interview. Enjoy!

Black Wolff: Now is there anything that you don't like about the project? (Besides having to proofread my long and comma lacking episodes)
Fibonacci: Trying to smooth internal politics between authors.
Fibonacci: The current issue is that we are developing two distinct factions: Those who like Q-Lab and those who don't.

[I like Q Lab, though you might not be able to tell from my episodes]
Fibonacci: Part of the intention of the most recent rule change is to merge the disparate plotlines so that this can't remain an issue.
Black Wolff: How do you think the increasing complexity of the plotlines will impact the future of the project?
Fibonacci: Two things come to mind.
Fibonacci: One is that we may end up with bigger continuity issues.
Fibonacci: Another is that the next change I make (generally I try to wait until the effects of the previous one are clear) will be to introduce the possibility of main characters dying and/or being removed from the plotline.
Fibonacci: Another rather fuzzy idea that just occurred to me is that we might give multi-episode story arcs a bit more official recognition / coordination.
Black Wolff: Can you give an example of that second point? e.g. can you point to a current such arc?
Fibonacci: Well, that's the trouble.
Fibonacci: They don't usually exist, because of the way the story is written.
Fibonacci: Let me put it this way.
Black Wolff: Ah, you want to institute such arcs? I thought you meant recognize existing ones.
Fibonacci: Can you point out a story arc in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that doesn't span the entire five-book trilogy?

[In retrospect I think he meant to type “does” not “doesn’t”]
Black Wolff: I haven't read the books in a while, so I can't think of anything offhand.
Fibonacci: To quote from The Princess Bride, nothing comes to mind.

[A more quotable movie would be hard to find]
Fibonacci: :)
Fibonacci: Those stories were written in a similar manner.
Fibonacci: Radio episodes, where the author had no idea what next week's episode would entail.

[If you like sci-fi try to find copies of X Minus One and Dimension X, two excellent old radio shows! Many were adaptations of short stories by those now acknowledged as twentieth century grand masters such as Ray Bradbury, Arthur C. Clarke, and Isaac Asimov.]
Fibonacci: *shrugs* I'm not sure how this idea might be implemented.
Black Wolff: So you perhaps might be looking for something like the episode groupings in Enterprise's fourth season?
Fibonacci: I'm just thinking that something will have to be done to prevent the complexity from branching out indefinitely.
Fibonacci: Maybe
Fibonacci: It will be several episodes down the road before I'll seriously consider anything.
Black Wolff: Okay, well to get back to the characters dying. Would you envision then that this story could have characters leaving and entering (to some degree of regularity) so that all individual plotlines don't continue for too long and become too complicated?
Fibonacci: The new plot generator is currently working overtime to balance out powers and weaknesses between nemesis pairs. Until that balancing is accomplished, we won't see it operating normally.
Fibonacci: It's either that or put a stop to new character creation.
Fibonacci: The choices appear to be keeping the characters static, or establishing some sort of dynamic equilibrium.
Fibonacci: I think the latter is a better idea.
Black Wolff: Who is your favourite character? (Minor or major)
Fibonacci: That's too hard to decide.
Fibonacci: My favorite hero is Dennis Brown.
Fibonacci: My favorite villain is Acidity.
Fibonacci: My favorite minor character is Frank Evans.
Fibonacci: Wait.
Fibonacci: Except he's a sidekick now.
Fibonacci: Or always was, I suppose.
Black Wolff: I believe that Fibonacci created both those first two, am I right? ;-)
Fibonacci: Yes.
Fibonacci: Frank Evans is my favorite non-super character.
Fibonacci: There we go.
Black Wolff: If you could live anywhere that has been visited by the characters so far, where would it be?
Fibonacci: With or without super powers?
Fibonacci: I think the Marcia Silverberg's hometown sounds nice.
Black Wolff: Do you have an answer for both? If not then without.
Fibonacci: There you go.
Black Wolff: Twin Peaks?
Fibonacci: Yeah.
Fibonacci: Small, beautiful country, no psychopathic Sith lords running around...
Black Wolff: lol
Black Wolff: Well I think that I've exhausted my questions. Do you have anything else that you'd like to say--err, type--before we wrap this up?
Fibonacci: Well, come to think of it the character that you modeled after me is living in Twin Peaks.
Black Wolff: Ah yes, Hegel. He is a fellow math-nut, isn't he? ;-)
Fibonacci: I can't think of any clever or inspirational closing remarks at the moment.
Fibonacci: Oh, here's something:
Fibonacci: At some point, I intend to write an episode in verse form.
Black Wolff: Like the (I've heard you and Carstairs speak of it) Buffy singing episode?
Fibonacci: I'm just waiting for the right assignment to come along.
Fibonacci: Except in that case the singing was actually taking place as part of the plot.
Fibonacci: In this case, I just think it would be fun to have an episode that was a poem.
Fibonacci: Ideally either a Dennis Brown / Darth Onion or Marla Stewart / Acidity conflict without a lot of extra plot threads cluttering it up.
Black Wolff: That sounds great. I'll look forward to reading that episode. Well Mr. Fibonacci, thank you for taking the time to talk--err, type--with us today. I hope you didn't tell us any fibs.
Fibonacci: Iambic pentameter would be ideal, except I can't write in that.
Fibonacci: No problem. :)
Black Wolff: *end of transcript*

~Matt

Labels:

5 Comments:

At Monday, August 07, 2006 6:54:00 PM, Blogger Fibonacci said...

I meant "doesn't". There are no short arcs; just one continuous rambling story from beginning to end.

 
At Tuesday, August 08, 2006 4:30:00 PM, Blogger Mark Baker said...

Pro and anti Q-lab factions? Whatever does he mean?

:)

 
At Wednesday, August 09, 2006 1:39:00 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Oh, okay--what I meant was that ramblings didn't last for the whole book, they appeared and disappeared without always being part of one or several grand unified schemes.

 
At Friday, August 11, 2006 1:12:00 PM, Blogger AllonOak said...

I don't suppose I'd be considered an 'anti Q-labbber', just because my few episodes were all on Luke...

 
At Friday, August 11, 2006 1:14:00 PM, Blogger AllonOak said...

btw, the interview's a little confusing... mostly because of the multiple topic discussion going on. Interesting info, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home